What to pack for gorilla trekking? Gorilla Trekking Gear & Parking List To Carry
Preparing What to pack for gorilla trekking? or what to bring for gorilla trekking in Uganda goes beyond gorilla trekking clothes. The best backpack for gorilla trekking should also include the following gorilla trekking essentials/items.
- Cameras and extra batteries: Photography is an important component of a gorilla safari in Uganda. You should ensure that you have your camera ready and you’re advised to charge your batteries very well and if necessary, carry extra batteries as you will need to take many photographs during your one hour encounter with the mountain gorillas. You are strongly advised to switch off your flash while taking gorilla photographs.
- Binoculars: Remember that you are on safari and you want to have clear views of everything. Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National park is biologically diverse with over 360 bird species, 120 species of mammals including black and white colobus monkeys, olive baboons, L’Hoest’s monkeys, bushbucks, duikers, forest elephants, and buffaloes. So, during your mountain gorilla trek, you will have a chance to spot some of the above.
- Water: Trekkers are advised to carry 2 litters of drinking water, because trekking gorillas can take from 1 to 8 hours.
- Packed lunch, gorilla treks can sometimes last longer into the afternoon.
- A small waterproof backpack: This will be useful to carry your water, packed lunch, camera and binoculars.
- A walking stick: A Gorilla trek is not a walk in the Park, but the terrain can be tough to navigate. A walking stick frees you up and gives you balance. There is the more ornamental, carved walking stick that makes an excellent souvenir of your most gorilla tours in Uganda. You can buy this walking stick at the start of your Trek, obtain it free of charge from some lodges or buy an ornamental one at a souvenir shop.
- Energy giving snacks: Trekking gorillas in Uganda can take from 1 to 8 hours and that’s why a certain level of fitness is required. Also, it is advised that you carry some energy giving snacks as supplements. You can buy your energy giving food in Uganda. You can ask your guide to take you to a nearby supermarket.
- Insect repellent/bug spray: This will discourage mosquitoes and other biting insects.
- Sun Blocker cream/sunscreen: This will give protection to your face and eyes from Uganda’s hot Equatorial sun.
- Extra shocks for hiking: Trekking Uganda gorillas can sometimes take up 8 hours or a whole day and while trekking, you find that the ground is wet and muddy. Therefore, the pair of socks you’re wearing when you start the trek will become wet either from the conditions or from sweating. After your 1-hour encounter with mountain gorillas, you can swap into a fresh pair of socks for the hike back to headquarters. It will feel amazing and your feet will thank you.
Note: Bwindi Impenetrable National Park & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda are mountainous and heavily forested , Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda, Virunga National Park and Kahuzi Biega National Park in Democratic Republic of Congo present trekkers with quite a challenge if gorillas are a fair distance away. The path is often slippery. Therefore if you think you’re going to struggle, it is highly advised to hire a porter who can carry your day pack and lend a hand getting up and down the hill.
More posts for you
A Comprehensive Guide to Visiting & Trekking Gorillas in Virunga National Park & Kahuzi-Biega National Park 2023/24This is the ultimate guide to Visiting & Trekking Gorillas in Congo 2023/24. Mountain Gorilla trekking in Congo is done in Virunga National Park and Congo Lowland Gorillas are tracked in Kahuzi Biega National...View package
Tourism Attractions In Uganda, Uganda Tourist Attractions, Things To See In UgandaAre you looking for Uganda tourist attractions? There are numerous tourism attractions in Uganda which are worth visiting while on your Uganda safari. The amazing tourist attractions in Uganda like the Big Five Game,...View package
Places To Visit In Uganda (Uganda Destinations) | Uganda Beautiful Places To Visit (Tourism Destinations In Uganda)Are you interested in places to visit in Uganda (Uganda destinations for safari) or wondering what are the various Uganda beautiful places (Uganda points of interest) to visit during your Uganda safaris? Uganda is...View package
Latest Rwanda COVID-19 Travel Guidelines & RequirementsLatest Rwanda COVID-19 Travel Guidelines & Requirements – March 2022 To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the government of Rwanda has released new Covid-19 travel guidelines and requirements for visitors arriving and departing the...View package
Gorilla Habituation Experience In Bwindi Impenetrable National Park UgandaGorilla habituation or gorilla habituation experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park Uganda Safari is a slow and gentle process of training wild gorillas to get used to the sight and presence of non-threatening humans for...View package
A Comprehensive Guide to Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi impenetrable National Park Uganda 2023/24This is a comprehensive guide to Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park Uganda & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park 2023/24. It is a must-read gorilla trekking guide for those who intend to trek Mountain...View package
Over 300 excellent reviews on TripAdvisor
Over 50 excellent reviews on Safaribookings.
Over 50 excellent reviews on Safaribookings.
12+ years of experience.
Best price guarantee.