What are the Best Months of the Year for Rwanda Gorilla Safaris? – Rwanda Safari News
Mountain Gorillas are known to be only in three African countries of which are Uganda, Rwanda and Congo with a total number of up to 1,004 gorillas. Mountain gorillas live in high steep mountain tropical forests of up to 4,500m above sea level. Volcanoes National Park is the prime gorilla trekking tour Rwanda destination for either a short or long Rwanda gorilla trekking tour. Volcanoes National Park is open year round and gorilla safari Rwanda tourists can visit at any time of the year. However, just like any other Rwanda safari activity like Rwanda wildlife safaris, there’s always a recommendable time especially based on the weather and climate of Rwanda, here are the best months of the year for Rwanda gorilla safaris;
The most recommendable months of the year for a Rwanda gorilla safari is during the dry season. Rwanda has two dry seasons and these are in the months of;
June – September
This is the longest dry season in Rwanda and the peak/high season for Rwanda gorilla trekking safaris and apparently the best months to track Mountain Gorillas in Rwanda. During these months the rains are low and the sun is brighter. Getting to the Rwanda gorilla tour park is easy because the roads are often dry and the hiking trails are not muddy and slippery as it is in the wet season.
Tourists interested in gorilla trekking in Rwanda during this time must book their Rwanda gorilla trekking permits in advance as there is very high demand for permits, so if you book late, you may miss out. This can be done through your Rwanda Gorilla trekking safari tour operator.
December – February
This is the short dry season in Rwanda and also one of the best months of the year for gorilla safaris Rwanda in search of the endangered mountain gorillas in Rwanda. Gorilla trekking trails are also easy to access in this period and Rwanda birding safaris are perfect because migratory birds are present.
Since it’s a dry season remember to carry along sun glasses, a hat and sun screens alongside all of the other necessary safari equipment.
How to plan for a Rwanda Gorilla trekking safari
Now that you know the best months of the year for Rwanda gorilla safaris, here is how you can plan for your gorilla safari in Rwanda;
With an altitude of about 4,500m above sea level, if you are planning to go for a gorilla trekking safari in Rwanda’s Volcanoes National Park then there’s need to be physically fit and be ready for the cool environment.
To have a gorilla trekking experience, you need a Rwanda gorilla trekking permit that costs USD 1500. It’s advisable to book your permit at least 6 months before the actual gorilla safari Rwanda. Booking for a gorilla trekking safari is best done by a local tour company.
What to wear / carry for a Rwanda gorilla trekking safari
- Gorilla trekking is done in high altitude areas of Volcanoes National Park therefore you need to carry warm clothing that is also water proof because there are high chances of rain. Carry a rain jacket for the altitude, remember your trekking in a tropical rain forest. Long sleeved shirts and trousers are appropriate for the trek.
- Wear long sleeve clothing from shirts to trousers. This guarantees your protection from thorns, nettles, scrub and insects like soldier ants.
- For hand protection, wear leather or gardening gloves. As you trek up hill, there could be need to hold on stems and to avoid the discomfort of nettles pricking your hands, the gloves help out.
- Wear a bush hat with a brim for sun protection as the day goes on and protection from anything that would fall from the branches.
- Water proof quality lightweight hiking boots as well as a pair of gaiters or heavy stockings are recommendable for a Rwanda gorilla hike. When trekking you can tuck your trouser in to your socks to avoid anything from getting in to your trouser. Hiking boots give good ankle support, grip, stability and balance as you trek to the mountain.
- On the lower slopes before actual trekking, light natural colored safari clothing is appropriate, Short sleeved and fast drying clothes are appropriate. The clothes should be loose fitting and relaxed.
- Do not carry a lot of clothing since most hotels and Rwanda safaris accommodation facilities offer hand washing laundry services for clients at a very minimum fee.
- Carry along casual clothing like long light trousers, shorts and short sleeve shirts for the men and a dress or jeans for ladies. In the evening you could decide to sit at the hotel fire place or have time with other tourists.
- Carry a light sweater, at the foothills of the mountains its cold.
- For comfort after the trek, carry light casual shoes for the evening, 1 pair is enough.
- Carry a small light towel. These are provided in hotels but if there be need, carry a personal one.
- Sunscreen and moisturizing cream are necessary, this is Africa and during the dry seasonit could really get hot.
- Recommendable insect repellent is need, this should not have any side effects since the mountain gorillas are highly susceptible.
- Since the jungle has very many other species, ear plugs are recommendable.
- Wipes or antibiotic tissues will do great work in hand cleaning.
- Carry camera batteries, extra fast film, charger
- A simple large zip lock backpack is useful for a gorilla tour in Rwanda. In here you can put your camera, film, water, packed lunch and binoculars. This is the best way to protect your gear.
- In case of health issues, carry along personal medicines and Prescription for instance altitude sickness tablets.
Recommendable Rwanda Gorilla Safaris
To have a memorable trip, you need to plan right and for this,here are top packages that can help you have the best of a Rwanda tour;
- 13 Days Uganda Rwanda Safari
- Rwanda Congo safari tours
- Uganda Rwanda Safaris
- Rwanda gorilla safaris
- Gorilla trekking safaris Rwanda
- Gorilla safari Rwanda
Where else can a tourist trek Mountain Gorillas.
In Uganda, Mountain Gorillas (half of the total population) are found in two Uganda gorilla safari parks of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park where Uganda gorilla trekking safaris can be done. The other mountain gorillas are found Virunga National Park which is the ideal Congo gorilla safari destination an the only one in West Africa.