How Many People are Allowed to Track a Gorilla Family-Group? How Many People Are Allowed to Habituate a Gorilla Family in Uganda, Rwanda
For those wondering how many people are allowed to track a gorilla family-group, Only eight (8) people per day are allowed to track a gorilla family/group in Uganda in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park & Mgahinga National Park, Rwanda in Volcanoes National Park or Congo in her Virunga National Park or Kahuzi Biega National Park in Africa and after once you find the Mountain Gorillas after the long gorilla trek that takes 1-8 hours, trekkers/tourists are allowed to have only one (1) hour.
For Gorilla Habituation Experience, only 4 people are allowed to habituate a gorilla family/group in Uganda per day at a cost of 1500$ per person (per gorilla habituation experience permit) and after finding them in the mooring before they nest out, you will stay with them for only 4hours. In Uganda, gorilla habituation experience in Rushaga & Buhoma regions of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Reasons why gorilla trekking is limited to 8 people per group for those asking how many people are allowed to track a gorilla family-group
- To reduce behavioral disturbance to the gorillas; a large crowd of people around gorillas may causes discomfort and stress to gorillas which is against conservation measures.
- To minimize the risk of gorilla exposure to human-borne diseases; we share 98.5% of our genetic material with gorillas. They are highly susceptible to human diseases but do not have the same immunity we do. Consequently, exposure to human viruses or illnesses can devastate entire gorilla populations.
- To conserve of other forest creatures by reducing the damage to the forest.
When it comes to gorilla habituation experience in Uganda, it is only 4 people that are allowed to spend 4 hours with mountain gorillas under habituation.
Gorilla habituation in Uganda is currently done in Rushaga sector in the southern parts of Bwindi Impenetrable National Park.
Habituation experience allows visitors to take part in gorilla habituation process. It involves encouraging wild gorillas feel comfortable in the presence of human. Visitor here accompany a team of researchers, trackers and rangers.
Reasons why the gorilla habituation experience is limited to 4 people per group for those asking how many people are allowed to track a gorilla family-group
- Gorilla habituations experience is done for a long time a day (4 hours), so a large group of people may not be appropriate for safety and conservation reason. Gorilla may be stressed and become uncomfortable.
- Also, since the gorillas are semi-habituated, they don’t need a lot of commotion from the people as they can easily charge negatively against the visitors.
Below are the gorilla Families in Uganda, Rwanda and Democratic Republic of Congo
- Gorilla Families/groups in Uganda
Uganda has 20 habituated families with 19 of them living in Bwindi impenetrable National Park and 1Mgahinga gorilla National Park called Nyakagezi. Gorilla families/groups in Bwindi Impenetrable include;
- Mubare Gorilla Group
- Habinyanja Gorilla Family
- Rushegura Gorilla Group
- Katwe Gorilla Group
- Muyambi Gorilla Family
- Kyaguriro Gorilla Family
- Bitukura Gorilla Family
- Oruzogo Gorilla Group
- Mishaya Gorilla Family
- Nshongi Gorilla Group
- Bweza Gorilla Group
- Kahungye Gorilla Group
- Bushingye Gorilla Family
- Kutu Gorilla Group
- Bikyingi Gorilla Family
- Rwigi gorilla family
- Mucunguzi gorilla family
- Nkuringo Gorilla Group
- Christmas Gorilla Group
- Gorilla Families/groups in Rwanda
Rwanda has 12 habituated gorilla families living in Volcanoes National Park including;
- Susa Gorilla Family (Susa A)
- Karisimbi Gorilla Family (Susa B)
- Amahoro Gorilla Family
- Umubano Gorilla Group
- Sabyinyo Gorilla Family
- Agashya Gorilla Group (Group 13)
- Kwitonda Gorilla Family
- Hirwa Gorilla Group
- Ugenda Gorilla Family
- Bwenge Gorilla Family
- Muhoza Gorilla Family
- Igisha Gorilla Family
- Gorilla Families/groups in Congo
Democratic Republic of Congo has 8 habituated groups of mountain gorillas living Virunga National Park, these include;
- Rugendo gorilla family
- Humba gorilla family
- Munyaga Gorilla group
- Mapuwa gorilla family
- Lulengo gorilla family
- Kabirizi gorilla family
- Bageni gorilla family
- Nyakamwe gorilla family
More posts for you
A Comprehensive Guide to Visiting & Trekking Gorillas in Virunga National Park & Kahuzi-Biega National Park 2023/24This is the ultimate guide to Visiting & Trekking Gorillas in Congo 2023/24. Mountain Gorilla trekking in Congo is done in Virunga National Park and Congo Lowland Gorillas are tracked in Kahuzi Biega National...View package
Places To Visit In Uganda (Uganda Destinations) | Uganda Beautiful Places To Visit (Tourism Destinations In Uganda)Are you interested in places to visit in Uganda (Uganda destinations for safari) or wondering what are the various Uganda beautiful places (Uganda points of interest) to visit during your Uganda safaris? Uganda is...View package
Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park UgandaGorilla habituation or gorilla habituation experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park Uganda Safari is a slow and gentle process of training wild gorillas to get used to the sight and presence of non-threatening humans for...View package