How many Babies do Female Gorillas Have? How Many Offspring Does a Mother Gorilla Have
Wondering how many babies do female gorillas have? Most Gorilla born are single infant is births annually, with twins being a rare scenario among both mountain gorillas and western lowland gorillas. (although Uganda has had some twin births in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park). Due to the high mortality of about 40% for new gorilla babies an adult female usually only has 1 surviving offspring matured every 6 to 8 years. As a result, many female Gorillas only manage to have 2 to 6 gorilla babies/offspring in a lifetime.
Amazing Facts About Baby Gorillas and their Birth
- It has been discovered that Infant gorillas are usually smaller than human infants at birth.
- Gorilla females have a gestation period of about 8.5-month long, and Gorilla infants weight about 1.4 – 1.8 kg at birth. (Usually half the weight of an average human baby)
- Gorilla babies grow faster to maturity about 12 years. By the time they’re adults, they weigh more than the average human being.
- Infants gorillas commonly stay under the physical care of their moms for between 5 to 6 months. Gorilla mothers always keep in close physical contact with their young ones for about 6 months after they’re born to keep them safe during foraging, travelling and active moments and provide comfort for their babies.
- As Infant gorillas make 3 months of age, they will start playing with objects and acquaint to their environment. When they make about 8 months, they start exploring walking within a few feet from the mother until they are old enough to move further away from their mother on their own but in the company of they will siblings.
- Because Female gorillas have a slow reproduction rate. The maximum number of offspring they may have during their lifetime is 2-6. The male gorillas reach sexual maturity at the age of 15 and normally, male gorillas have 10-20 offspring, but from different females.
- The female gorillas reach sexual maturity at the age of 10 years. When they reach this period, female mountain gorillas give birth to a single baby gorilla every 4 years.
- Research has shown that about 26% of the gorilla babies die in the first year, especially if the mother shifted to another gorilla family/group with her baby, the Silverback in the new group OR if a new Silver back takes up the current group, it will frequently kills the new baby as keenly observed in the mountain gorillas of the Virunga Volcanoes.
Female gorillas surprisingly make the first move towards the male gorillas for mating. They are sexually accessible during the estrous period. They have an estrous cycle of 28 days and, right after giving birth, they stopped ovulation for so many years.
Mountain gorillas do not have a specific breeding season and babies are produced throughout the year. If they were not threatened, their population would be greater than that of human beings. Due to habitat loss, poaching and disease transmission, gorillas have a high infant mortality rate and almost 60% die before their sexual maturity.
if you are to trek gorillas in Uganda in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Rwanda in Volcanoes National Park or the Democratic Republic of Congo in Virunga National Park and Kahuzi Biega National Park.
More posts for you
A Comprehensive Guide to Visiting & Trekking Gorillas in Virunga National Park & Kahuzi-Biega National Park 2023/24This is the ultimate guide to Visiting & Trekking Gorillas in Congo 2023/24. Mountain Gorilla trekking in Congo is done in Virunga National Park and Congo Lowland Gorillas are tracked in Kahuzi Biega National...View package
Tourism Attractions In Uganda, Uganda Tourist Attractions, Things To See In UgandaAre you looking for Uganda tourist attractions? There are numerous tourism attractions in Uganda which are worth visiting while on your Uganda safari. The amazing tourist attractions in Uganda like the Big Five Game,...View package
Places To Visit In Uganda (Uganda Destinations) | Uganda Beautiful Places To Visit (Tourism Destinations In Uganda)Are you interested in places to visit in Uganda (Uganda destinations for safari) or wondering what are the various Uganda beautiful places (Uganda points of interest) to visit during your Uganda safaris? Uganda is...View package
Latest Rwanda COVID-19 Travel Guidelines & RequirementsLatest Rwanda COVID-19 Travel Guidelines & Requirements – March 2022 To prevent the spread of COVID-19, the government of Rwanda has released new Covid-19 travel guidelines and requirements for visitors arriving and departing the...View package
Gorilla Habituation Experience In Bwindi Impenetrable National Park UgandaGorilla habituation or gorilla habituation experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park Uganda Safari is a slow and gentle process of training wild gorillas to get used to the sight and presence of non-threatening humans for...View package
A Comprehensive Guide to Gorilla Trekking in Bwindi impenetrable National Park Uganda 2023/24This is a comprehensive guide to Gorilla trekking in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park Uganda & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park 2023/24. It is a must-read gorilla trekking guide for those who intend to trek Mountain...View package
Over 50 excellent reviews on Safaribookings.