WHAT TO PACK FOR GORILLA TREKKING? | GORILLA TREKKING GEAR & PARKING LIST TO CARRY
Preparing What to pack for gorilla trekking? or what to bring for gorilla trekking in Uganda goes beyond gorilla trekking clothes. The best backpack for gorilla trekking should also include the following gorilla trekking essentials/items.
- Cameras and extra batteries: Photography is an important component of a gorilla safari in Uganda. You should ensure that you have your camera ready and you’re advised to charge your batteries very well and if necessary, carry extra batteries as you will need to take many photographs during your one hour encounter with the mountain gorillas. You are strongly advised to switch off your flash while taking gorilla photographs.
- Binoculars: Remember that you are on safari and you want to have clear views of everything. Bwindi Impenetrable Forest National park is biologically diverse with over 360 bird species, 120 species of mammals including black and white colobus monkeys, olive baboons, L’Hoest’s monkeys, bushbucks, duikers, forest elephants, and buffaloes. So, during your mountain gorilla trek, you will have a chance to spot some of the above.
- Water: Trekkers are advised to carry 2 litters of drinking water, because trekking gorillas can take from 1 to 8 hours.
- Packed lunch, gorilla treks can sometimes last longer into the afternoon.
- A small waterproof backpack: This will be useful to carry your water, packed lunch, camera and binoculars.
- A walking stick: A Gorilla trek is not a walk in the Park, but the terrain can be tough to navigate. A walking stick frees you up and gives you balance. There is the more ornamental, carved walking stick that makes an excellent souvenir of your most gorilla tours in Uganda. You can buy this walking stick at the start of your Trek, obtain it free of charge from some lodges or buy an ornamental one at a souvenir shop.
- Energy giving snacks: Trekking gorillas in Uganda can take from 1 to 8 hours and that’s why a certain level of fitness is required. Also, it is advised that you carry some energy giving snacks as supplements. You can buy your energy giving food in Uganda. You can ask your guide to take you to a nearby supermarket.
- Insect repellent/bug spray: This will discourage mosquitoes and other biting insects.
- Sun Blocker cream/sunscreen: This will give protection to your face and eyes from Uganda’s hot Equatorial sun.
- Extra shocks for hiking: Trekking Uganda gorillas can sometimes take up 8 hours or a whole day and while trekking, you find that the ground is wet and muddy. Therefore, the pair of socks you’re wearing when you start the trek will become wet either from the conditions or from sweating. After your 1-hour encounter with mountain gorillas, you can swap into a fresh pair of socks for the hike back to headquarters. It will feel amazing and your feet will thank you.
Note: Bwindi Impenetrable National Park & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in Uganda are mountainous and heavily forested , Volcanoes National Park in Rwanda, Virunga National Park and Kahuzi Biega National Park in Democratic Republic of Congo present trekkers with quite a challenge if gorillas are a fair distance away. The path is often slippery. Therefore if you think you’re going to struggle, it is highly advised to hire a porter who can carry your day pack and lend a hand getting up and down the hill.
GORILLA TREKKING FAQs
- What is Gorilla trekking?
- Why should i visit gorillas in Uganda? Benefits of Gorilla trekking in Uganda, Rwanda, Congo Africa
- Where can I see gorillas in Uganda? Where is gorilla trekking done in Uganda?
- How do I prepare for gorilla trekking Uganda?
- How difficult is gorilla trekking in Uganda? |Is Gorilla trekking hard in Uganda?
- What to wear for gorilla trekking in Uganda?
- What is the start of gorilla trekking like?
- What are the rules and regulations for gorilla trekking in Uganda?
- Why the age limit for trekking gorillas is 15 years?
- How long does gorilla trekking take? |How long is a trek to see gorillas?
- What is a gorilla trekking permit?
- How many gorilla permits are available in Uganda?
- How many people are allowed to track a gorilla family or Group?
- Do I need to book a gorilla permit in advance?
- How much is a gorilla permit in Uganda?
- How do I book a gorilla permit in Uganda?
- What is the gorilla permit cancellation policy in Uganda?
- Are there discounted gorilla permits in Uganda?
- How much does a gorilla safari in Uganda cost?
- Why is gorilla trekking so expensive in Uganda, Rwanda, Congo Africa?
- What is the best time to go for gorilla trekking in Uganda? |When can you see gorillas in Uganda?
- Is it safe to visit gorillas in Uganda?
- Is gorilla trekking better in Rwanda or Uganda?
- Where to stay during your gorilla safari in Uganda?