How much is a gorilla permit in Uganda? A gorilla permit in Uganda costs $700 per person for foreign non residents, $600 for foreign residents, but both pay $1,500 for gorilla habituation experience in Uganda. Rwanda Gorilla permit costs $1500 for foreign non residents and $500 for foreign residents. They both pay a uniform amount for the Rwanda behind the scenes gorilla trip for 3 days costs US$ 30,000 for 3 persons.
The Rwanda and Uganda gorilla permit fees as well as gorilla habituation fees includes the park entry and ranger guide fees (who will be with you in the forest looking for the gorillas). The gorilla permit and gorilla habituation fees exclude accommodation, meals, transport, and other expenses.
For those interested in Gorilla trekking in Uganda is done in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Rwanda’s Behind the scenes gorilla trip experience is done in volcanoes National Park
Below is a table comparing costs of gorilla permits in Uganda, Rwanda, and Congo for various gorilla activities.
|Gorilla activities||Category of visitors||Uganda Permit price||Rwanda permit price||Congo permit price|
|Gorilla trekking (1 hour)||Foreign Non Resident Visitors||US$ 700||US$ 1500||US$400|
|Foreign Resident Visitor||US$ 600||US$ 1500|
|East African Citizens||UGX 250,000||US$ 1500||US$200|
|Conference guest||U$ 1275|
|Visitors who booked other parks||US$ 1050|
|Gorilla habituation (4 hours)||All visitors||US$ 1500|
|Bind the scenes (Minimum of 3 visitors for 3 days)||All visitors||US$ 30,000|
|Private gorilla trekking (Group of up 8 visitors for 1 hour)||All visitors||US$ 15,000|
Cost of gorilla permits in Uganda
- Gorilla permits in Uganda, applies to Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, which has 19 habituated gorilla groups and Mgahinga National Park, which has 1 habituated gorilla group. Uganda offers two types of gorilla permits, one for gorilla trekking and another one for gorilla habituation experience.
How much is a gorilla trekking permit in Uganda?
A gorilla trekking permit grant the visitor access to one trek and one hour encounter with the gorillas. Gorilla trekking is done in groups of not more than 8 visitors who are allowed to visit a particular gorilla group each day.
Below is the gorilla trekking permit price in Uganda.
Foreign Non Resident Visitors—US$ 700 per person
Foreign Resident Visitors—US$ 600 per person
East African Citizens —US$ 250, 000 per person
How much is a gorilla habituation permit in Uganda?
- A permit for gorilla habituation in Uganda is more expensive, because visitors spend 4 hours with the gorillas rather than just 1. A gorilla habituation experience in Uganda cost US$1,500 per person.
- Habituation permits allow tourists to take part in the habitation process. This involves gradually encouraging wild gorillas to feel comfortable in the presence of humans.
Getting a gorilla permit in Uganda
A Uganda gorilla permit can book directly from Uganda Wildlife Authority, a Ugandan government agency that issues gorilla permits in Uganda.
However the most convenient way of getting a gorilla permit in Uganda is through a trusted tour operator. Tour operators always include a gorilla permit as part of the overall cost of your Uganda gorilla safari.
You are advised to book at least six months ahead of travel to ensure availability
Cost of gorilla permits in Rwanda
- Gorilla trekking permits in Rwanda are the most expensive. Beside the normal gorilla trekking tour, Rwanda also offers gorilla trekking special discounts and Special Exclusive Gorilla safari experience to visitors.
How much is a gorilla trekking permit in Rwanda?
- A normal gorilla trekking permit in Rwanda cost US$1500 per person. This Rwanda gorilla trekking permit grants the visitor access to one trek and one hour encounter with the gorillas. It is done in groups of up 8 visitors who are allowed to visit a particular gorilla group each day.
Gorilla trekking special discounts in Rwanda
30% Discount (US$ 1,050) on gorilla permits if visiting other national parks in Rwanda (Akagera national park, Nyungwe national park) for 3 days and more during the low season of November – May.
15% discount (US$ 1,275) on conference guests who stay pre and post MICE events to see gorillas
Special Exclusive Gorilla safari experience in Rwanda
US$ 15,000 for Private gorilla trekking of an entire group of up 8 people with an exclusive personalized tour guide service. The private experience also means you can adjust the speed of the trekking to suit your group.
US$ 30,000 for a minimum of 3 visitors for 3 consecutive days (Behind the scenes)
A Rwanda gorilla permit can be booked via a registered tour Company or through Rwanda Development Board (RDB).
Cost of gorilla permits in Congo
Democratic Republic of Congo has the cheapest gorilla trekking permit. Below is the cost of a gorilla trekking permit in Uganda
Foreigner —US$ 400 per person
East African citizen US$ 200
Congo citizens —US$ 20 per person
You buy a Congo gorilla permits through Virunga National Park offices in Goma where you can reach them out either by telephone or email. A gorilla permit in Congo can also be booked through a reputable tour operator and in this case Prime Uganda safaris and tour can help you get the permit very first.
GORILLA TREKKING FAQs
- What is Gorilla trekking?
- Why should i visit gorillas in Uganda? Benefits of Gorilla trekking in Uganda, Rwanda, Congo Africa
- Where can I see gorillas in Uganda? Where is gorilla trekking done in Uganda?
- How do I prepare for gorilla trekking Uganda?
- How difficult is gorilla trekking in Uganda? |Is Gorilla trekking hard in Uganda?
- What to wear for gorilla trekking in Uganda?
- What to pack for gorilla trekking in Uganda? | What should I take gorilla trekking?
- What is gorilla trekking like in Uganda Rwanda Congo Africa?
- What are the rules and regulations for gorilla trekking in Uganda?
- Why the age limit for trekking gorillas is 15 years?
- How long does gorilla trekking take? |How long is a trek to see gorillas?
- What is a gorilla trekking permit?
- How many gorilla permits are available in Uganda?
- How many people are allowed to track a gorilla family or Group?
- Do I need to book a gorilla permit in advance?
- How much is a gorilla permit in Uganda?
- How do I book a gorilla permit in Uganda?
- What is the gorilla permit cancellation policy in Uganda?
- Are there discounted gorilla permits in Uganda?
- How much does a gorilla safari in Uganda cost?
- Why is gorilla trekking so expensive in Uganda, Rwanda, Congo Africa?
- What is the best time to go for gorilla trekking in Uganda? |When can you see gorillas in Uganda?
- Is it safe to visit gorillas in Uganda?
- Is gorilla trekking better in Rwanda or Uganda?
- Where to stay during your gorilla safari in Uganda?