Gorilla Trekking Rwanda vs Uganda, Comparing Gorilla Trekking in Rwanda vs Uganda?
Gorilla Trekking Rwanda vs Uganda−Mountain gorillas are found in Uganda (in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park and Mgahinga Gorilla National Park), Rwanda (in Volcanoes National Park) and the Democratic Republic of Congo (in Virunga National Park).
However, Uganda and Rwanda are the most popular destinations for mountain gorilla safaris. Travellers, who wish to go for mountain gorilla safaris in Africa always wonder:-which is better for gorilla trekking Rwanda Vs Uganda?
Is Rwanda or Uganda better for gorilla trekking? Here is a comparison between the two countries; the choice is yours.
Gorilla trekking permit price
- Luxury gorilla trekking mainly takes place in Rwanda due to the highest gorilla permit cost. A Rwanda gorilla permits cost US$1500; to spend 1 hour with a gorilla family. A Uganda gorilla permits cost US$700 to spend 1 hour with gorillas.
The Number of gorilla families and gorilla permits−Uganda Vs Rwanda which one has more gorilla permits
- Uganda has half of all mountain gorillas in the world with 20 habituated gorilla families and more gorilla permits than Rwanda. Rwanda has 10 habituated gorilla families.
Park accessibility – Uganda Vs Rwanda which one is more accessible for gorilla trekking?
- Entebbe international airport is the entry point to Uganda. It is a 9-10 hours’ drive from Entebbe to Bwindi. The journey is tiresome and long especially if you are not having a stopover in any of the other National Parks of Uganda. If you are not interested in long drives you could take a scheduled flight to the park at an added cost of course.
- In Rwanda, mountain gorillas are tracked in Volcanoes National Park which is just about 113 km from Kigali International Airport, approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes’ drive. The short travel distance and time to the home of a gorilla in Rwanda is a great advantage and makes the country the easiest option for travellers especially those that want to spend
Ease of the gorilla trek−Uganda Vs Rwanda (which one has an easy gorilla trek)
- Gorilla tracking in Uganda’s Bwindi impenetrable forest seems to require more physical fitness and stamina. Bwindi Impenetrable forest is very thick and takes more physical effort to trek the gorillas through it. In Rwanda on the other hand, gorilla tracking is a bit easier.
Gorilla habituation experience−Uganda Vs Rwanda which one is better at Gorilla Habituation?
- In Uganda, visitors have the opportunity to enjoy the Gorilla Habituation Experience, which involves spending about 4 hours with the gorillas. The habituation permits cost $1500 per person per day which is the same amount paid for a 1-hour gorilla encounter in Rwanda.
What to combine your gorilla trek with- Uganda Vs Rwanda- can I combine a Gorilla Trek Safari in Uganda & Rwanda?
- Both Uganda and Rwanda offers more than gorilla trekking. Uganda safaris offer up to 10 national parks, 12 wildlife reserves and several forest reserves all of which offer amazing Uganda wildlife safaris and tours. Uganda is also Africa’s top bird-watching destination with over 1073 bird species recorded. Uganda’s Murchison Falls National Park and Queen Elizabeth National Park are home to four of the ‘big five animals’ including the uncommon tree-climbing lions. Kibale National Park in Uganda hosts the largest population of chimpanzees in Africa. Another spectacular site you can visit in Uganda after your gorilla trek is the source of the Nile River (the world’s longest river), a world-class white water rafting destination.
- Rwanda has 4 National Parks. A gorilla safari Rwanda can be combined with a chimpanzee tour to Nyungwe Forest National Park, or a visit to the Akagera, a savannah safari park. Travellers can also relax and chill out on the beautiful Lake Kivu or undertake a Kigali city tour and visit the amazing Kigali Genocide Memorial.
Accommodation options−Uganda Vs Rwanda for Gorilla trekking lodges
- Where it comes to where to stay, both Uganda and Rwanda have some better options though Rwanda is seeing an increase in the number of more luxurious lodges being set up. High-end tourists usually choose Rwanda Park because of good accommodation. These include the recently built One & Only Gorilla’s Nest Lodge, Bisate Lodge, Sabyinyo Lodge, Volcanoes Virunga lodge and Singita Kwitonda Lodge. Uganda, on the other hand, is known for budget accommodation but with some luxury options like Clouds Mountain Lodge and Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp.
More posts for you
A Comprehensive Guide to Visiting & Congo Trekking Gorillas in Virunga National Park & Kahuzi-Biega National Park 2024/2024This is the ultimate guide to Visiting & Trekking Gorillas in Congo 2023/24. Mountain Gorilla trekking in Congo is done in Virunga National Park and Congo Lowland Gorillas are tracked in Kahuzi Biega National...View package
Places To Visit In Uganda (Uganda Destinations) | Uganda Beautiful Places To Visit (Tourism Destinations In Uganda)Are you interested in places to visit in Uganda (Uganda destinations for safari) or wondering what are the various Uganda beautiful places (Uganda points of interest) to visit during your Uganda safaris? Uganda is...View package
Gorilla Habituation Experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park UgandaGorilla habituation or gorilla habituation experience in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park Uganda Safari is a slow and gentle process of training wild gorillas to get used to the sight and presence of non-threatening humans for...View package