No, mountain gorillas can’t survive in zoos. They are only live in mountainous forested areas of Central-East Africa. In the 1960s and 70s, several attempts were made to capture live mountain gorillas and start a captive population. A number of adult gorillas were killed to get live babies but none of which survived in captivity.
Why are there no mountain gorillas in zoos?
The reason why mountain gorillas failed to survive in captivity is unclear, but most probably because of the complex mountain gorilla diet.
Also possibly the rate of consumption and variety in feeds make it hard for mountain gorillas to survive in captivity.
Mountain gorillas have always been rare. Today there are only around 1063 mountain gorillas left.
Where do mountain gorillas live?
In Uganda, they live in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park which is home to almost half of the world’s population of these gentle great apes and in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park in the southwestern region of the country
In Rwanda, they live in Volcanoes National Park in the northwestern region of the country.
In Democratic Republic of Congo, they live in Virunga National Park in the eastern region of the country.
Gorillas in zoo: Which gorillas do you see in zoos?
All gorillas in zoos around the world are lowland gorillas and mainly western lowland gorillas (Gorilla gorilla gorilla), one of the two sub species of the western gorilla (Gorilla gorilla).
There are over 100,000 western lowland gorillas in the wild, with 4,000 in zoos, thanks to conservation. Eastern lowland gorillas have a population of fewer than 3,800 in the wild and 24 in zoos
if you are to trek gorillas in Uganda in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park & Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Rwanda in Volcanoes National Park or the Democratic Republic of Congo in Virunga National Park and Kahuzi Biega National Park
GORILLA FACTS FAQs
- what is a gorilla?
- Where do gorillas get their name from?
- How many species of gorillas are there?
- Where can you see gorillas in Africa?
- What is the size of the Mountain gorilla?
- What’s the biggest type of gorilla?
- What makes mountain gorillas unique? |What is special about mountain gorillas?
- How do mountain gorillas look like/What special features do mountain gorillas have?
- What is special about a mountain gorilla’s nose? /Do gorillas have unique nose prints?
- What is the daily life of a gorilla like?
- How do mountain gorillas move?
- Can a mountain gorilla climb? /Can gorillas climb trees?
- Do gorillas live alone? /Do mountain gorillas live in families?
- Do gorillas live in nests? /Do gorillas build nests?
- What do mountain gorillas eat? /Will a gorilla eat a human?
- How much does a gorilla eat per day?
- Why does gorilla have canines?
- How do Gorillas communicate?
- How smart is a mountain gorilla? How intelligent are gorillas?
- Why do gorillas beat their chest?
- Do female gorillas beat their chests?
- Why can’t you look at gorilla’s eyes?
- Can a gorilla be a pet?
- What is a baby gorilla called?
- How many babies do female gorillas have?
- How long do baby gorillas stay with their mothers?
- What is the average life span of a mountain gorilla? /How long does a gorilla live?
- Are mountain gorillas friendly? /Are gorillas gentle?
- Can mountain gorillas be aggressive? /Are gorillas aggressive?
- How strong is a mountain gorilla? /How strong is a silverback gorilla?
- What is a gorilla afraid of? /What do gorillas fear?
- Who are gorilla enemies? /Do gorillas have predators?
- How many mountain gorillas are left in the world?
- Why are mountain gorillas endangered?
- How can we help save mountain gorillas?